From October 2009 to December 2010, SAATHII, with the Manipur State AIDS Control Society, completed a pilot project to strengthen pediatric HIV care in Manipur state. To accomplish this task, SAATHII partnered with pediatricians with knowledge of pediatric HIV/AIDS; provided regular on-site mentorship visits to the district hospitals to boost clinical practice; developed referrals and linkages with other service providers in the district; and established proper documentation systems.
The pilot project aimed to address the need of enhancing pediatric HIV care through mentorship at various levels around the following objectives:
- Enhancing knowledge and skills of doctors and paramedical staff of pediatric departments, ICTC and ART centers of district hospitals in Imphal East, Thoubal, and Churchandpur districts on quality pediatric HIV care via the on-site mentorship
- Ensuring an increase in number of referrals and follow-ups of pediatric patients from out/in patient settings in three district hospitals to ICTC and ART centers
- Strengthening documentation and information systems to ensure the above objectives
- 19 coordination meetings conducted at three hospitals in partnership with NGOs and positive networks
- 59 mentoring sessions by identified mentors
- 62 children were referred from COPD to ICTC from July to December 2010
- Sessions on nutrition were conducted at the three district hospitals
- Manipur State AIDS Control Society
- District AIDS Prevention and Control Unit, Imphal East, Churachandpur and Thoubal
- Jawaharlal Nehru Hospital, Imphal East
- District Hospital, Churandpur
- District Hospital, Thoubal
- The Clinical Mentoring Program received funding from the Clinton HIV/AIDS Initiative.
The Clinical Mentoring Program received funding from the Clinton HIV/AIDS Initiative.