Based on the expected transition process and task shifting for nurses in Targeted Intervention (TI) clinics of Avahan program, the “Capacity building of Nurses of Avahan Supported Partners” project built the capacity of nurses in an effort to sustain the TI initiatives of the Avahan Program. This capacity building project was implemented from June 2011 to March 2012.
SAATHII built the capacity of nurses through the following activities::
- Developed training curricula and training materials, including participant and facilitator manuals
- Developed two resources for nurses to be used at their clinics—a Syphilis Screening Poster describing steps in the screening of syphilis using the Immuno Chromatographic Strip Test (ICST) technique and a Family Planning Counseling Flip Book to help counsel key population
- Trained 35 trainers including 15 from State Lead Partners of Avahan Program and 10 consultants through two Training of Trainers (ToTs)
- Trained 186 nurses and counselors from six Avahan states in ten batches
- Developed a supervision tool to assess clinic practices and to provide need based technical support to nurses during follow-up visits
- Completed supervision visits to selected clinics in four states
This project received financial support from Family Health International.