Project Sashakt: MSM, Hijra and TG Community Systems Strengthening In partnership with India HIV/AIDS Alliance, and funded by UNDP
Project Sashakt, carried out from September 2009 to February 2011, aimed to strengthen the community systems that benefit men who have sex with men (MSM), Hijra and transgender (TG) communities in India. It served as an initiative to pilot a larger five-year project. Work began in December 2009 through a baseline study in Bishnupur district, which involved the community based organizations (CBO) Maruploi Foundation, which acted as the local leader of the project. A pre-TI program implementation in Bishnupur district involved mapping of community, counseling, and referral services.
Accomplishments of the pilot program include:
- More than 450 communities of TGs and MSMs were contacted and enrolled
- Maruploi Foundation was empanelled under Manipur State AIDS Control Society and is currently implementing TI at Bishnupur district under Manipur State AIDS Control Society
- Manipur State AIDS Control Society
- District AIDS Prevention and Control Unit, Bishnupur district
- Other NGOs under Manipur SACS in the district