Based on learnings from Andhra Pradesh-Public Private Partnership (PPP) Program, SAATHII’s Tamil Nadu PPP unit provided technical assistance to TamilNadu State AIDS Control Society (TANSACS) and AIDS Prevention and Control –Voluntary Health Services Project (APAC-VHS) in the implementation of PPP- Integrated Counseling and Testing Centers (ICTCs). The PPP program, which took place from February to December 2010, provided comprehensive ICTC and PPTCT services to the general population and pregnant women accessing private hospitals. By November 2010, the program established 87 PPP sites. From June to November 2010, 4,151 pregnant women and 11,071 clients accessed counseling and testing services. Of these, 235 tested positive, including 12 pregnant women.
The following are the activities that have been completed by December 2010:
- Assisted TANSACS in developing training curriculum for PPP-ICTC team members
- Coordinated induction training for 112 doctors, 102 nurses, and 22 lab technicians and training for 171 nurse counselors and 87 lab technician training and 87 lab technicians
- Sensitized 85 doctors, 828 nurses, 145 lab technicians, 202 nursing students, and 164 support staff through onsite sensitization programs
- Streamlined supply of HIV test kits at 87 PPP sites
- Conducted 88 mentorship visits to PPP sites
- Ensured online reporting and SMS based daily reporting by all PPP sites to District AIDS Prevention & Control Unit (DAPCU)/TANSACS
- Established referral and linkages between PPP sites and district level service providers
- Transitioned the program to SACS and respective DAPCUs by the end of 2010
The TN-PPP-ICTC Program was funded by APAC-VHS/USAID.